Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thing #11: Feeding

Most of the blogs I've subscribed to I heard of through word-of-mouth. I'll get an "I think you'll like this" email, or someone at work will show me a link. SInce my last post, I've added a blog Sarita, my friend from home, started when she moved to South America and Stuff White People Like, which Sarita suggested to me. I also subscribed to Improve Everywhere, a site I found in my Social Deviance class when I was in undergrad.

Using feed finders was a new experience for me. I wasn't the biggest fan at first, mostly because I didn't know what topics to search for. But when I went to Topix, there was a headline that caught my attention (At Least 1 Stabbed at Clarksville Mall) and I was tempted to browse the sight more. I liked that it had local news and read a lot from The Leaf Chronicle, but I couldn't subscribe to their website directly. I liked the way Topix was organized and that it focused on news instead of any and every blog. I browsed a little more and added SNAFU-ed (I unsubscribed from Huffington Post because they update a few thousand times a day, so I needed a new news source).

The Feedster and Syndic8 links would not work for me, so for the last two feed finders (Google and Technorati), I did an experiment: I searched for a random topic - Backpack Europe (something I've always wanted to do and hope to get around to someday soon) - at both sites and compared the blogs that they found for me. As a Google Devotee, I was surprised that I liked more of Technorati's results. Furthermore, their site was more aesthetically pleasing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment